You may be considering dental implants but you might have some questions. More specifically the reasons why you might want to or need dental implants, the benefits and also the process of it. So this is what this article will aim to help you with. Dental implants are metal and screw posts replace the tooth root. They help if you have damaged or missing teeth and replace them with artificial teeth that look and function just like the real thing. Dental implants can be welcomed alternatives to things such as dentures or bridgework, which can be lengthy and also expensive. Sometimes those procedures also don’t offer up the best fit and overall look to your mouth and overall teeth appearance.
Why would you need dental implants?
Dental implants are part of a procedure that takes into account people who have missing teeth or teeth that are damaged and will need replacing. There is so much to consider about it and there are things to consider rewarding it. Dental implants may be the right course of action and procedure for you to consider for any of the following reasons:
- Have one or more missing teeth. This is when dental implants can help replenish a complete jawline.
- Have a jawbone that’s reached full growth. This is so dental implants don’t take away from natural growth and maturity of the mouth.
- Have adequate bone to secure the implants or are able to have a bone graft so that you are better protected.
- Have healthy oral tissues to ensure that the dental implants can be inserted.
- Don’t have health conditions that will affect bone healing to ensure maximum effect.
- Are unable or unwilling to wear dentures because of the inconvenience of them.
- That you want to improve your speech development.
- Are willing to commit several months to the process as it can take some time to complete the procedure in full.
- Don’t smoke tobacco as this can cause stains.
There are a number of different reasons why you may want dental implants, some that have been mentioned earlier, but this can be to ensure that you feel confident in your smile and your appearance. Not to mention the added dental health benefits.
When it comes to the procedure for dental implants, it will take place in. Stages and there will be adequate healing time between each step to ensure that the process can continue. The process would usually look like this:
- Damaged tooth removal to ensure there is the space to work with.
- Jawbone preparation and any bone grafting will be done at this stage if it is needed.
- Dental implant placement will then begin.
- Bone growth and healing.
- Abutment placement.
- Artificial tooth placement.
There will be healing time between each stage and often the process can take months to complete. However, depending on what needs to be done, sometimes the above stages can be combined to reduce the length of time it takes.
Hopefully this has made you more aware of the dental implants process.