Whether you’re the parent of a teenager or an adult looking for their own orthodontic treatment, you’re in the right place. Orthodontic treatment is an important part of oral health for those who have overcrowding, crooked teeth or poor tooth alignment. While many people believe that braces, and all that comes with that is purely cosmetic, this is not the case. Braces can help correct jaw alignment problems, bite issues, and more! Let’s delve a bit deeper and learn about how full orthodontic treatment could benefit you and your family member
Who may be in need of braces?
Some of the most common signs are as follows:
- Spacing and Gaps – If your teeth have an unusual amount of space separating them you may be a candidate in need of treatment. It may also look or feel like you don’t have enough teeth to fill your mouth.
- Crowding – This is what happens when you have too many teeth and not enough space in your mouth to accommodate them. Crowding can push teeth into unnatural positions and create a crooked smile and treatment will straighten your teeth and eliminate the overcrowding.
- Misplaced Midline – When the center of your top front teeth don’t line up with the center of your bottom front teeth. It’s a sort of misalignment of top teeth and bottom teeth that orthodontia can solve.
- Underbite – An underbite is a bite where your bottom teeth are too far forward and your top teeth are too far back. This can give the appearance of a bulldog.
- Overbite – An overbite is the opposite of an underbite. It’s when your top teeth are too far forward and your bottom teeth are too far back. Overbites are sometimes referred to as buck teeth or malocclusion.
- Crossbite – Crossbites are when your bite is crooked and off center. It’s a kind of dental misalignment. Misalignment can cause eventually cause jaw pain and your teeth wearing or grinding. Orthodontic treatment can help align your bite and prevent pain and tooth damage.
What Kind of Orthodontic Treatment is Available?
When most people think of orthodontics, they just think of braces. While braces are a big part of orthodontics, they aren’t the only kind of treatment option. There are also special fixed appliances that can help with tongue thrusters and those who have sucked their thumb in the past. Space maintainers can also be used to maintain a space where a future tooth can be placed or will be growing in soon.
Whether you’re looking to straighten your teeth or fix a misaligned bite, Rivers Edge Dental has a full orthodontic treatment plan for you. Give us a call with your questions today!